Enriching the Writing Curriculum
- We have invested heavily in providing a wide variety of high-quality books, as we value the impact a varied reading diet will have on the children’s writing.
- Children have the opportunity to independently apply the skills and techniques taught in English when writing in other subject areas, and produce meaningful writing with a real audience and purpose.
- We have close links with Manchester libraries and classes regularly visit the local libraries for author visits, workshops and performances.
- We celebrate World Poetry Day and have poetry workshops run by a poet, in each class, every year.
- Children are provided with rich experiences, such as trips or visitors, to inspire and provide a context for writing.
- Issues that are important to the children (both local, national and global) are used to provide meaningful contexts for writing.
- Children across the school regularly take part in National writing competitions
- Writing efforts and achievements are acknowledged and rewarded in whole-school assemblies